Path to configure stateless DNAT with iptables ?

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 9:34 pm, Rodrigo Senra wrote:

>  I need to do DNAT changing destination to a single
>  ip-address for every non-marked packet.

Sounds easy enough...

>  I mark the packets in mangle table, I DNAT in nat table...
>  that would suffice but I need it to be stateless instead of
>  stateful! Tolerating conntrack overhead (in my case) is too
>  expensive.

Why do you say that ?

1. What overhead is connection tracking adding to simple stateless DNAT ?

2. How do you propose to handle SNAT of reply packets if you turn off
connection tracking (is the overhead of this acceptable) ?

3. What sort of machine do you have and what volume of packets are you trying
to shovel through it ?

>  The question is...how can I disable conntrack for DNAT ?

Well, you can simply disable connection tracking, but that will affect more
than just DNAT...

>  (a) there is a secret switch ? (not very likely ;o)

Yes - the switch is whether you say Yes or No to the question "Connection
Tracking ?" when you comple your kernel :-)

I'm intrigued as to what you are doing and why you think connection tracking
is generating too much overhead on your machine to be acceptable.

Antony.

--

w-- O !M V+++(--) !PS !PE Y+ PGP+> t- tv@ b+++ DI++ D--- e++>+++ h++ r@? 5?