Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

Harald,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 05:19:53PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 22.06.20 um 16:54 schrieb Phil Sutter:

> >> i could share it offlist, it's a bunch of stuff including a managament
> >> interface written in bash and is designed for a /24 1:1 NETMAP
> >
> > Yes, please share off-list. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.
> >
> >> basicaly it already has a config-switch to enforce iptables-nft
> >>
> >> FILE                    TOTAL  STRIPPED  SIZE
> >> tui.sh                  1653   1413      80K
> >> firewall.sh             984    738       57K
> >> shared.inc.sh           578    407       28K
> >> custom.inc.sh           355    112       13K
> >> config.inc.sh           193    113       6.2K
> >> update-blocked-feed.sh  68     32        4.1K
> >
> > Let's hope I don't have to read all of that. /o\
>
> to see the testing implemented please scroll at the bottom :-)
>
> that whole stuff lives in a demo-setup at home reacting slightly
> different when $HOSTNAME is "firewall.vmware.local"
>
> surely, you can have the scripts alone but it's likely easier to get the
> ESXi started somehow and have a fully working network reflecting
> produtkin just with different LAN/WAN ranges

Sorry, no thanks. If your setup is so complicated you rather send me an
image of the machine(s?) running it, you're in dire need to simplify
things in order to prepare for me helping out. Assuming that
'firewall.sh' is also really 57KB in size, I'll probably have a hard
time even making it do what it's supposed to, let alone reproduce the
problem.

Let's go another route: Before and after switching from legacy to nft
backend, please collect the current ruleset by recording the output of:

- iptables-save
- ip6tables-save
- nft list ruleset
- ipset list