Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 04:11:06PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 22.06.20 um 16:04 schrieb Phil Sutter:
> >> i gave it one try and used "iptables-nft-restore" and "ip6tables-nft",
> >> after reboot nothing worked at all
> >
> > Not good. Did you find out *why* nothing worked anymore? Would you maybe
> > care to share your script and ruleset with us?
>
> i could share it offlist, it's a bunch of stuff including a managament
> interface written in bash and is designed for a /24 1:1 NETMAP

Yes, please share off-list. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

> basicaly it already has a config-switch to enforce iptables-nft
>
> FILE                    TOTAL  STRIPPED  SIZE
> tui.sh                  1653   1413      80K
> firewall.sh             984    738       57K
> shared.inc.sh           578    407       28K
> custom.inc.sh           355    112       13K
> config.inc.sh           193    113       6.2K
> update-blocked-feed.sh  68     32        4.1K

Let's hope I don't have to read all of that. /o\

[...]
> >> please don't consider to drop iptables-legacy, it just works and im miss
> >> a compelling argument to rework thousands of hours
> >
> > I'm not the one to make that call, but IMHO the plan is for
> > iptables-legacy to become irrelevant *before* it is dropped from
> > upstream repositories. So as long as you are still using it (and you're
> > not an irrelevant minority ;) nothing's at harm.
>
> well, my machines are dating back to 2008 and i don't plan to re-install
> them and given that im am just 42 years old now :-)

You're sending emails, so you're alive and kicking! There's absolutely
no reason your systems shouldn't be. After all, where's the fun of
keeping a box up to date if it's not for the casual technology migration
(and the sleepless night to fix the bugs)? :)

Cheers, Phil