Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

Am 22.06.20 um 16:04 schrieb Phil Sutter:
>> i gave it one try and used "iptables-nft-restore" and "ip6tables-nft",
>> after reboot nothing worked at all
>
> Not good. Did you find out *why* nothing worked anymore? Would you maybe
> care to share your script and ruleset with us?

i could share it offlist, it's a bunch of stuff including a managament
interface written in bash and is designed for a /24 1:1 NETMAP

basicaly it already has a config-switch to enforce iptables-nft

FILE                    TOTAL  STRIPPED  SIZE
tui.sh                  1653   1413      80K
firewall.sh             984    738       57K
shared.inc.sh           578    407       28K
custom.inc.sh           355    112       13K
config.inc.sh           193    113       6.2K
update-blocked-feed.sh  68     32        4.1K

[harry@srv-rhsoft:/data/lounge-daten/firewall/snapshots/2020-06-21]$
/bin/ls -1 ipset_*
ipset_ADMIN_CLIENTS.txt
ipset_BAYES_SYNC.txt
ipset_BLOCKED.txt
ipset_EXCLUDES.txt
ipset_HONEYPOT_IPS.txt
ipset_HONEYPOT_PORTS.txt
ipset_IANA_RESERVED.txt
ipset_INFRASTRUCTURE.txt
ipset_IPERF.txt
ipset_JABBER.txt
ipset_LAN_VPN_FORWARDING.txt
ipset_OUTBOUND_BLOCKED_PORTS.txt
ipset_OUTBOUND_BLOCKED_SRC.txt
ipset_PORTSCAN_PORTS.txt
ipset_PORTS_MAIL.txt
ipset_PORTS_RESTRICTED.txt
ipset_RBL_SYNC.txt
ipset_RESTRICTED.txt
ipset_SFTP_22.txt

>> via console i called "firewall.sh" again wich would delete all rules and
>> chains followed by re-create them, no success and errors that things
>> already exist
>
> That sounds weird, if it reliably drops everything why does it complain
> with EEXIST?

that was the reason why i gave up finally

>> please don't consider to drop iptables-legacy, it just works and im miss
>> a compelling argument to rework thousands of hours
>
> I'm not the one to make that call, but IMHO the plan is for
> iptables-legacy to become irrelevant *before* it is dropped from
> upstream repositories. So as long as you are still using it (and you're
> not an irrelevant minority ;) nothing's at harm.

well, my machines are dating back to 2008 and i don't plan to re-install
them and given that im am just 42 years old now :-)