Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

[Adding József]

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 15:34:24 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 22.06.20 um 14:42 schrieb Pablo Neira Ayuso:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 04:11:57PM +0200, Phil Sutter wrote:
> >> Hi Pablo,
> >>
> >> I remember you once asked for the benchmark scripts I used to compare
> >> performance of iptables-nft with -legacy in terms of command overhead
> >> and caching, as detailed in a blog[1] I wrote about it. I meanwhile
> >> managed to polish the scripts a bit and push them into a public repo,
> >> accessible here[2]. I'm not sure whether they are useful for regular
> >> runs (or even CI) as a single run takes a few hours and parallel use
> >> likely kills result precision.
> >
> > So what is the _technical_ incentive for using the iptables blob
> > interface (a.k.a. legacy) these days then?
> >
> > The iptables-nft frontend is transparent and it outperforms the legacy
> > code for dynamic rulesets.
>
> it is not transparent enough because it don't understand classical ipset

By the way, now nftables should natively support all the features from
ipset.

My plan (for which I haven't found the time in months) would be to
write some kind of "reference" wrapper to create nftables sets from
ipset commands, and to render them back as ipset-style output.

I wonder if this should become the job of iptables-nft, eventually.

--
Stefano