Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

Hi Pablo,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 02:42:07PM +0200, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 04:11:57PM +0200, Phil Sutter wrote:
> > Hi Pablo,
> >
> > I remember you once asked for the benchmark scripts I used to compare
> > performance of iptables-nft with -legacy in terms of command overhead
> > and caching, as detailed in a blog[1] I wrote about it. I meanwhile
> > managed to polish the scripts a bit and push them into a public repo,
> > accessible here[2]. I'm not sure whether they are useful for regular
> > runs (or even CI) as a single run takes a few hours and parallel use
> > likely kills result precision.
>
> So what is the _technical_ incentive for using the iptables blob
> interface (a.k.a. legacy) these days then?

Mostly interoperability, I guess. Recent real-world scenario is host
firewall management from inside a container (please don't ask me why):
If the host uses legacy iptables (for legacy reasons ;) the top-notch
state of the art container has to do so as well or hell freezes over.

Apart from that, I can imagine there are users depending on one of the
few missing features like e.g. broute table in ebtables.

> The iptables-nft frontend is transparent and it outperforms the legacy
> code for dynamic rulesets.

Sadly, we can't claim the same for nft - its caching strategy is dumb
compared to what iptables-nft does nowadays. I guess that should be my
follow-up task. :)

Cheers, Phil