Re: iptables user space performance benchmarks published

On Friday 2020-06-19 16:11, Phil Sutter wrote:

>I remember you once asked for the benchmark scripts I used to compare
>performance of iptables-nft with -legacy in terms of command overhead
>and caching, as detailed in a blog[1] I wrote about it. I meanwhile
>managed to polish the scripts a bit and push them into a public repo,
>accessible here[2]. I'm not sure whether they are useful for regular
>runs (or even CI) as a single run takes a few hours and parallel use
>likely kills result precision.
>
>[1] https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2020/04/27/optimizing-iptables-nft-large-ruleset-performance-in-user-space/
>
>"""My main suspects for why iptables-nft performed so poorly were kernel ruleset
>caching and the internal conversion from nftables rules in libnftnl data
>structures to iptables rules in libxtables data structures."""

Did you record any syscall-induced latency? The classic ABI used a
one-syscall approach, passing the entire buffer at once. With
netlink, it's a bit of a ping-pong between user and kernel unless one
uses mmap like on AF_PACKET — and I don't see any mmap in libmnl or
libnftnl.

Furthermore, loading the ruleset is just one aspect. Evaluating it
for every packet is what should weigh in a lot more. Did you by
chance collect any numbers in that regard?