Re: iptables nfacct match question

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, Michael Zintakis wrote:

> Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

> >> I meant inconsistent in terms of the end result, which in the example
> >> above is packet/bytes counting.
> >>
> >> That result is different depending on the order of the conditions (i.e.
> >> matches) attached to the iptables rule. With the 'old' accounting we
> >> didn't have that. In other words, with the old accounting we've had:
> >>
> >> If (match1 && match2 && matchN) {
> >>   do_packet_and_bytes_counting();
> >> }
> >>
> >> No matter how we arrange the order of match1, match2 and matchN, the end
> >> result is (or should be) the same. With the nfacct match that isn't the
> >> case, but that isn't nfacct match's fault, but I guess it is because of
> >> the way iptables is examining the matches.
> >
> > Yes, exactly. And actually it supports rules like this:
> >
> > iptables -A INPUT -m <match0> -m nfacct --nfacct acct0 \
> >                   -m <match1> -m nfacct --nfacct acct1 \
> Hm, never thought of that, but I guess one learns something new every
> day. Thanks Jozsef!
>
> > Also, this is a new accounting method, which is just not the same as the
> > old one.
> Yes, I know, I wasn't disputing that - it is just that I am used to the
> 'old' accounting and when you've been using it for years it is not so
> easy to 'detach' yourself from that.
>
> >> We would have had the consistency (in other words, getting a consistent
> >> result regardless of the order of the various conditions/matches) if
> >> nfacct was a target, not a match, but I know that would be difficult (I
> >> already examined that possibility) since the x_tables target does not
> >> provide a 'destroy' method, so there isn't a way to track the 'refcnt'
> >> in the nfacct kernel struct, so inventing this method is as equally as
> >> ugly as the hack I did with the nfacct match above, so I thought to ask
> >> and see whether there is a better solution.
> >
> > Targets do have a destroy method.
> Haha, you are far too quick for me!
>
> I just found that out - I don't know how I did not see it when I first
> looked at it. I guess if I 'convert' nfacct to a target I could get that
> 'consistency', but I appreciate the new example you gave above, which I
> have to admit is very useful indeed (one can hit two or more birds with
> one stone so to speak).

nfacct can't be converted to a target, because it'd result backward
incompatibilty - it already exists as a match. The module could be
extended to play the role of target as well, but it seems to be
unnecessary: there's no need to have a target in a rule, so in userspace
"-j NFACCT" could simply be replaced by "-m nfacct".

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary