Re: ulogd extension

2009/11/1 Pierre Chifflier <pchifflier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:11:05AM +0100, Fred Leeflang wrote:
>> Yes I was looking at those although I looked at the ulogd 1 source and
>> only very briefly at ulogd 2, looking at those actually gave somebody
>> else in #vuurmuur the idea to check into this way. It's far easier for
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> I'd suggest to look only for ulogd2 if possible. The architecture is
> very different, and I think adding a plugin will be far easier.

I had already decided to do so and checked out
git://git.netfilter.org/ulogd2.git (couldn't get to your personal git
repo at the time) so I have a pretty decent idea what I'm looking at
already.

>> us to make such an extension and require ulogd to run and parse
>> packets for us than it is to parse a syslog text file. So if I were to
>> write an extension that would do what we want it to do, could that
>> extension be part of the builltin extensions of ulogd[1|2] ? I'm more
>> than happy to hack something together and let the list have a look at
>> it.
>
> If the plugin is generic, it should not be a problem. Ulogd2 has 3 types
> of plugins: input, filter, and output. So, from what you are telling,
> I suppose it would be an input plugin ?

I suppose it would be an output plugin :) It should essentially do
similar stuff from what I could see, kinda like the
ulogd_output_SYSLOG.c. It would not do syslogging however but instead
write out a logfile for vuurmuur UI displaying.

I just discussed that this morning with the other developers and the
project leader feels that we might be better off using
libnetfilter_log directly from libvuurmuur as there's apparently a
bigger chunk of library code in libvuurmuur that would have to be
either ported to the plugin or we'd create a dependency on libvuurmuur
in ulogd2, which he was pretty sure you wouldn't like :)

So for now we'll stick to the approach of using libnetfilter_log from
within our own library.

Thanks,
-Fred Leeflang