Re: ulogd extension

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:17:26PM +0100, Fred Leeflang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For vuurmuur I would like to write an ulogd extension that writes out
> a log somewhat comparable to syslog. Currently vuurmuur parses syslog
> line generated with the LOG target, we are considering changing this
> to having ulogd do this for us through the ULOG target and said
> extension. What's the best way to go about doing this to keep the
> extension maintainable?

Hi Fred,

Have you looked at the SYSLOG or LOGEMU output plugins ? Writing a
similar plugin should be fairly easy.
Writing external plugins is not supported. It's very easy, yet Pablo
prefers [1] to keep things in mainline when possible, which is of course
a good thing [2].

Pierre

[1] http://marc.info/?t=123996560400005&r=1&w=2
[2] external plugins would require us to create, document, and
maintain a stable API, for ex. Not that it can't be done, but I'm not
sure it was part of the original plans :)