Re: Netfilter API and libiptc

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2009-02-12 06:13, Patrick McHardy wrote:
I have the code ready, it is easily mergeable-and-revertible(*) too, but let's
wait with that because it currently relies on a certain revision of
Makefile.am (IOW: merge conflicts with nf).

(*) That is, changing it from 'lib_LTLIBRARIES' to 'noinst_LTLIBARIES' and it
automatically becomes static wrt. the executables again. Oh I love automake :)
I'd prefer to wait until after the next release with this.

I'd rather not want to wait another 4 months with this change
[of enabling iptc to be installed].
If Jesper then wants to play with the API, no problem, just
don't forget bumping the so_version correctly.

We already have quite a few changes and missed the last release,

Maybe releases should be more coordinated. I could come up with a big bunch of suggested guidelines upfront.
Release-early-release-often is the one I miss most.
	.oO( and before I know it, I wrote another book )

If you write me a script to take care of all the website crap,
I'll happily release more often :) Its just a major PITA currently.

so I want to start stabilizing a nice new release for 2.6.29 soon.

Here is your chance to make 1.4.3 nice - it does happen that some
projects seem to use libiptc, and because it's not installed with
distros because it is noinst_ in our happy Makefile.am, projects do a
verbatim copy which a deed worse than having the current API -
cherry-steal commit 1715851e now! :-D

I know. We've told them that this is a bad idea. Anyways, lets
see how intrusive these changes get.