Re: Netfilter API and libiptc

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Ignacy Gawedzki wrote:
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 06:10:03PM +0100, thus spake Patrick McHardy:
Ignacy Gawedzki wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a project that relies on manipulation of iptables in
order to perform fine data packet accounting.  This manipulation is performed
dynamically, so the code initially used libiptc.

Since iptables 1.4.0, libiptc is not distributed anymore, so I resolved to
incorporate the code into our own source distribution, just as people from
collectd seemingly did.
<cut>

My question was not about how to prevent the machine from crashing, but rather
how are we supposed to manipulate iptables, now that libiptc is not available.
<cut>

I would propose that we add libiptc again.

Possibly as a shared library, like we have libxtables.so?

Controlling API/ABI changes is going to be a lot harder when people starts to incorporate the libiptc code into their own source distributions. (I'm also guildy with the Perl IPTables::libiptc package...)

Patrick, what do you say?

And Jan, you seems to be the one that removed libiptc... pro vs. cons?

Cheers,
  Jesper Brouer