Re: Netfilter API and libiptc

On Wednesday 2009-02-11 15:37, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Ignacy Gawedzki wrote:
>>> My question was not about how to prevent the machine from crashing, but
>>> rather
>>> how are we supposed to manipulate iptables, now that libiptc is not
>>> available.
>>> <cut>
>>
>> I would propose that we add libiptc again.
>>
>> Possibly as a shared library, like we have libxtables.so?
>>
>> Controlling API/ABI changes is going to be a lot harder when people starts to
>> incorporate the libiptc code into their own source distributions. (I'm also
>> guildy with the Perl IPTables::libiptc package...)
>>
>> Patrick, what do you say?
>
> Agreed on your reasoning. I don't have much of an opinion, we
> mainly tried to hide it because it was never suitable for anything
> else than a short "iptables ..." command because of memory leaks
> etc. I think we're a lot better with this nowadays, if we can
> get the worst remaining ones plugged and somewhat of a usable
> API we can certainly add it as a library.

I have the code ready, it is easily mergeable-and-revertible(*) too, but
let's wait with that because it currently relies on a certain revision
of Makefile.am (IOW: merge conflicts with nf).

(*) That is, changing it from 'lib_LTLIBRARIES' to 'noinst_LTLIBARIES'
and it automatically becomes static wrt. the executables again. Oh I
love automake :)

git://dev.medozas.de/iptables iptc