Re: iptables not working with monolithic 2.6.26.5 kernel on ARM

    Jan> On Sunday 2008-10-05 23:02, Martin Schwenke wrote:

    >> What does CONFIG_COMPAT mean?

    Jan> Support of an ABI (specifically one only) that is different
    Jan> from the kernel. Usually used to implement 32-bit userspace
    Jan> for 64-bit kernels.

That's why I thought you asked...  :-)

I thought that some of my problems stemmed from the cross-compiler and
native compiler doing things differently.  However, I'm now running a
natively compiled kernel (yep, it took a while to build, but it
boots... so no screwdriver ;-) and am still seeing the same ABI
problems, with the same debug message:

  get_entries: 668 != 672

The ARM CPU looks to be 32-bit (Wikipedia suggests that all ARM CPUs
32-bit).  The vmlinux that gets generated by both the cross-compiler
and the native compiler is 32-bit.  So, I guess this has nothing to do
with 64-bit-ness?

So, if its possible, I'm more confused than I was before!  :-)

This has obviously got something to do with alignment.  However, I'm a
bit too naive to understand how the alignment is getting messed up
when the kernel and userspace are built with the same compiler.  That
said, I don't know what compiler libc was built with... but I assume
the Debian guys built it with the stock compiler for the distro...

Any other ideas?  :-)

peace & happiness,
martin