Re: iptables not working with monolithic 2.6.26.5 kernel on ARM

    Jan> Well, the kernel/userspace certainly has support for mixed
    Jan> 64/32 ABI, so calling for both being the same seems like an
    Jan> unnecessary push.

    Jan> I might wonder; what does

    Jan> 	#include <stdio.h>
    Jan> 	/* userspace program here */
    Jan> 	printf("%Zu\n", __alignof__(uint64_t));

    Jan> give on ARM?

If I compile using the native Debian etch gcc:

  gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

then it prints 4.

If I use the cross-compiler that I use to compile kernels (and use
--static) then it prints 8.  The version is:

  arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc (Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q1-126) 4.2.3

So there does seem to be a mismatch.

However, compiling iptables statically with the cross-compiler results
in:

  # ./iptables -L
  getsockopt failed strangely: No such file or directory

Of course, I can't strace it because it is static.  I could compile a
debug version and use gdb... but I'm not clued up enough on ABI issues
to know what to look for...  and I suspect that using gdb when I have
ABI issues is just going to confuse me.

I'm pretty sure I once tried compiling a kernel with the native 4.1.2
GCC but it wouldn't boot... which is annoying because trying it and
failing involves fixing it with a screwdriver!  :-(

Any suggestions before I try that again?  If all common sense points
to me needing to compile kernel's natively then I'll obviously give it
a try.  Alternatively, if there's a small hack that isn't obvious to
me then I'd be happy to hear about it.  That said, I suspect that if I
have ABI issues then I shouldn't be trying small hacks... but then
everything else on the box *seems* to work just fine...  yep, famous
last words...  ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions...

peace & happiness,
martin