Re: RFC: net/netfilter reorganization

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Sunday 2008-10-05 12:21, Patrick McHardy wrote:
Thats true. Not using any prefixes requires keeping the
upper letter naming convention for targets though (which
I don't really mind).

Anybody else's voice on this?
I'd like to go for $(always lowercase extension name)_{mt,tg}.c if noone objects.
Or, when obvious extensions get combined maybe (like xt_mark and xt_MARK),
just mark.c and the issue is all gone.

Thats a good point, once we've go for the directory split,
combining matches and targets will not fit into the scheme
very well. And I think that would be a good change.

So I'm very undecided right now, I think I need to let this
settle in my brain first :)

Now while we are at it.. should future xtables targets (their actual
name as is used with iptables -j) continue to be uppercase?

I was afraid I would trigger this kind of suggestions. Lets do
one thing at a time, and I don't think we should change too many
of the visible conventions. We can do this in nftables.

I think this is sufficient:

obj-$(config_foo) += nfct_ftp.o
nfct_ftp-objs := ftp.c

That way, Mr Developer can use ft<TAB> to get ftp.c, but the
final module that we will be using with modprobe/rmmod still
has the prefix (and we should really have one!)
A lot of people are unloading modules in their firewall scripts
and that will break.

Well whether it's nfct_ or nf_conntrack_ is up to you; the point was
that ftp.c exist for the joy of the developer.

Right, we don't have to change the module names at all, I didn't
think of that.

I think I'm going to get a bit more rest from the workshop before
trying to use my brain again :)