Re: RFC: net/netfilter reorganization

On Sunday 2008-10-05 10:02, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Yes, confusing wording. I meant splitting them up internally,
> i.e. xtables => matches/targets etc, as described below. And
> its only about the directory structure of course, how things
> work together at runtime remains the same.

I would not want to split matches and targets. Yes I am aware that we
have these guys wanting to store it on case-ignorant filesystems, but
we would still have all the include files in a conflicting position.

net/netfilter/xtables/matches is already over my personal
preferred limit of 3. If at all, I think they should get
{pre|post}fixed à la tg_connmark.c (target) and mt_connmark.c (or
connmark_{tg,mt}.c, whichever makes 'em happy).

Also the idea of merging files for the benefit of reduces in-memory
size was floating. I have revisited the koredux branch since you said
on-disk size ain't important, so the exact _memory_ statistic is:

One extension per module:

Single blob:
	Module                  Size  Used by
	xtables_ext            94312  0 (on-disk size 160K)

All blobs that xtables_ext encompasses:
	Module                  Size  Used by
	ip6t_mh                 2176  0
	ip6t_hl                 2176  0
	ip6t_eui64              2240  0
	ip6t_HL                 2432  0
	ipt_ttl                 2112  0
	ipt_ecn                 2496  0
	ipt_ah                  2176  0
	ipt_addrtype            3136  0
	ipt_ULOG                9096  0
	ipt_TTL                 2496  0
	ipt_REJECT              3712  0
	ipt_LOG                 6400  0
	ipt_ECN                 3072  0
	xt_u32                  2816  0
	xt_time                 3136  0
	xt_tcpudp               3840  0
	xt_tcpmss               2624  0
	xt_string               2752  0
	xt_statistic            2368  0
	xt_sctp                 3456  0
	xt_recent              11232  0
	xt_realm                1984  0
	xt_rateest              3136  0
	xt_quota                2304  0
	xt_policy               3648  0
	xt_pkttype              2304  0
	xt_physdev              2960  0
	xt_owner                3328  0
	xt_multiport            3840  0
	xt_mark                 2496  0
	xt_mac                  2240  0
	xt_limit                2752  0
	xt_iprange              2944  0
	xt_hashlimit           12960  0
	xt_esp                  2432  0
	xt_dccp                 3464  0
	xt_comment              2176  0
	xt_dscp                 3264  0
	xt_TRACE                1984  0
	xt_TCPOPTSTRIP          3136  0
	xt_TCPMSS               4992  0
	xt_SECMARK              3012  0
	xt_RATEEST              4676  1 xt_rateest
	xt_NFQUEUE              2304  0
	xt_NFLOG                2368  0
	xt_MARK                 3136  0
	xt_DSCP                 4160  0
	xt_CLASSIFY             2048  0
	total                 165992  (on disk about 1037K)

That's a 43% reduction in memory.

>> -rw-r--r-- 1 15924 2008-09-09 20:34 nf_conntrack_ftp.c
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 43369 2008-09-09 20:33 nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c
>>
>> and in everybody's mind, FTP is a protocol too of course, “so why
>> does not ftp have a _proto part, and why does TCP?” one might ask.
>> We could just remove the _proto part (also helpful to reduce the
>> name length), as there is no clash between L3 and L4 trackers
>> except perhaps for proto_generic and l3proto_generic. Hm?
>
> Agreed, this is a good opportunity to fix that as well.
> The _proto prefix becomes redundant if we use
>
> net/netfilter/ct/protocols
>
> anyway.

It does not really solve anything IMHO. Protocols? FTP is one, so hm,
same confusion. This also got my anti-favorite 4-depth :)