Re: [NETFILTER]: Move extensions' arguments into compound structure (1/2)

On Sunday 2008-10-05 11:12, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> Thanks. As an added explanation - the benchmarking I did for nftables
> indicated that we're somewhere between 50 and 110 cycles for a "usual"
> rule on my x2. So its really easy to degrade performance significantly
> by just requiring a few more cycles. The upside is that it works in both
> directions :)

Hm there is actually a reason I did it this way.

I did not want to make the struct xt_match_param constant that
extensions receive, so they can tamper with the arguments just like
they were able to before. (Actually, just a single outoftree
extension does this right now.)

Constructing the xt_match_param for example in ipt_do_table() instead
of do_match() would mean that iff some extension trashed, say,
par->in, then all future extensions would get that new value, which
is of course not what we wanted.

Requesting verdict from you. :)
Make it const so that extensions don't tamper with it?