Re: Ebtables hook order anomaly

On Wednesday 2008-04-09 17:04, Patrick McHardy wrote:

>>  - arpreply engine
>
> A pure bridge doesn't need ARP. I don't get your point,
> but my suggestion might not make much sense, I haven't
> really thought about this.

Well maybe you don't want to use a bridge for simplicity
but still do proxy arp for lots of addresses.

>>  - filtering on L2
>>
>> there has been a L2-hooks back in the 2.4 days (at least the context
>> looks like it), and given that the ebtables targets now use
>> xtables, the l2hooks patch would actually be real easy.
>
> They were used for the kernel ct_sync implementation. Why
> would you use them for briding, it has its own hooks?

If you wanted to filter out non-(arp,ipv4,ipv6) traffic,
you have to set up a bridge and filter it there, as I see it.
So L2 hooks would come in handy since you would not need
to set up a bridge device anymore to do so.