Re: Ebtables hook order anomaly

On Wednesday 2008-04-09 16:36, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> > Indeed, on output bridge netfilter will run after IPv4 netfilter.
>> > Does that explain things?
>>
>> It explains things, but having the feature removed is not nice.
>> I cannot deny that the previous code was real a hook spaghetteria,
>> but how could it be done better?
>
> Good question. The order on output is logically correct, so I
> wouldn't change it. I never liked the invocation of IP hooks
> from bridging at all, so long-term we could consider making
> the features people want to bridging available "natively"
> (like conntrack/NAT/...).

Can't quite imagine what you mean. Bridging is currently
implemented using a separate netdevice, much like bonding
or gre/ipip/tun/tap tunnels.

Well bridging is essentially a few pieces:

 - "forward" packets without changing MAC

 - arpreply engine

I have often come across needing a bridge device with a single port and
brouting=drop only because of ebt_arpreply; I have immediate plans
to remove this limitation.

 - STP

I seem to remember ideas about a userspace daemon were floating
around..

 - filtering on L2

there has been a L2-hooks back in the 2.4 days (at least the context
looks like it), and given that the ebtables targets now use
xtables, the l2hooks patch would actually be real easy.