Re: About Loongson platforms' directories

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan wrote:

> > Yes I would like to do so. Loongson-2K have a limited support with DeviceTree
> > (OpenFirmware) by U-Boot bootloader. Later SoC chips will also support DT as I
> > know.
> > But Loongson-1 series and 2E/2F only have leagcy boot support, no EFI, no DT,
> > even not all bootloader support machtype (in boot cmdline). That's why we want
> > to creat different entries for these platforms.
>
> It is possible to use DT even if boot loader does not supply it. The
> dtb can be append to the kernel and kernel can be configured to pick
> it up.

 Problems start when such DTB disagrees with how the system has actually
been configured.

 I once had to go through pains in the past when upgrading the kernel on a
Freescale board where different versions of the firmware set up resources
differently and the DTS supplied with the kernel assumed the most recent
one.  I had to port random DTS updates to the old version to keep the old
resource assignment while making the result understandable to the new
kernel as the syntax evolved.  And I think I may not have got everything
right as e.g. I couldn't access the PATA CD-ROM the system was equipped
with after the upgrade anymore (fortunately I didn't need it, so I just
ignored the problem).

 In case someone suggests I could have upgraded the firmware: well,
technically yes, but first that would cut the route back to the previous
kernel version if the new one wasn't usable enough, and second the board
was somewhere in a rack in a data centre across the pond, so no, I didn't
dare bricking it.

 So yes, having a DTB integrated with the kernel is certainly an option,
but a lot of care has to be taken to make it an aid rather than a burden.

 FWIW,

  Maciej