Re: About Loongson platforms' directories

On 2018年1月17日星期三 CST 下午10:04:46 PrasannaKumar Muralidharan wrote:

> It is possible to use DT even if boot loader does not supply it. The
> dtb can be append to the kernel and kernel can be configured to pick
> it up.

Hi PrasannaKumar

Yes I know about that. But I think it's not necessary to introduce DT support
for current Loongson platforms. Now, all machines with same SoC or CPU or MCU
can share their kernel. 2E/2F differ platforms by machtype, 3 is using EFI
just like DT. For loongson-mcu their is only one reference design in kernel.
Introduce DT support will make whole boot progress more complex.

Loongson-2K have DT support in bootloader.

> I think James is talking about having little to no platform code in
> arch/mips/loongson/. It is preferred to have Loongson specific drivers
> in driver/<hw-specific-framework> as it would help using common code
> the framework provides. Any change to driver will go via the
> respective framework maintainer (for example change to Loongson rtc
> driver can be submitted to the rtc maintainer) which will reduce mips
> maintainer burden and also increases responsiveness in getting the
> changes merged.

Yeah, some drivers should put into their own subsystems. That's what we'll do
during seprate the machs. But other drivers such as PM or PCI can only put in
MIPS arch. Platform code should be reduced by DT and EFI, but for older
systems (2e/2f), we still need some platform code. Since there will be no more
new device for these systems, I think it's acceptable.

--
Jiaxun Yang