Re: [patch] cmdline.c rewrite

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:53:33PM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > I think SystemPartition is ignored (haven't been able to see any
> > evidence to the contrary... I should look in the source...)
>
> SystemPartition is to be used by the bootloader, that is sash in SGI's case.

AFAICT, sash ignores SystemPartition here.

> > BTW, I think file system labels are a much better way of identifying FSs.
>
> ARC dates back more than 10 years back.  It was written with PC partitions
> and NT as OS in mind.  So don't expect fancy concepts or sanity ;-)

I'm talking about linux.  Linux should default to "root=rootfs", or
something.  If linux installers set labels, that is.

> The ARC code is also used by non-SGI systems and on some of those using a
> non-standard variables is a bit of a pita.
>
>   SystemPartition	The default path for the system partition.

What's the "system partition"?  I think this is an Irix thing,
but I don't have any evidence.

> Btw, device names like dksc(0,1,2) came from SGI's / MIPS's pre-ARC firmware
> so are deprecated since 10 years.  Some things just don't want to die.

It requires a lot less typing ;)

Cheers,
Andrew