Re: [patch] cmdline.c rewrite

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:19:09AM +1100, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> Huh?  The firmware uses something looking like OSLoadPartition=dksc(0,1,2),
> not /dev/sda1.
Sure. But what we do on IP22 is to let the kernel look at OSLoadPartition and
use that as the root device - so we're actually interested in
linux device names. This is basically done since we can't store the root
device in OSLoadOptions due to limited space.

> >  If you have a
> > bootloader (which is only true for IP22 [1]) it sets up the kernels
> > commandline properly anyway - so where's the problem? nfsroot?
>
> The problem is the firmware (on my IP27, anyway) uses a different
> form to Linux for OSLoadPartition.  OSLoadPartition tells the
> firmware / bootloader (sash here) where to find the kernel.
Again: we don't care what the firmware wants here, we're interested what
the kernel expects. Why do you need sash for booting anyways? Can't
you let the PROM boot the kernel directly?

Anyways, I won't object to change OSLoadPartition, we have a bootloader
on IP22 so this isn't actually needed anymore.
 -- Guido