Re: N900 power consumption - particularly on SIP VoIP

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Joerg Reisenweber <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [Henrik Frisk Mi  21. April 2010]:
>> But to my surprise, the
>> biggest power hog was the sip account. When I disabled it my up-time
>> was more reasonable. Anyone knows a way to reduce the power
>> consumption without disabling the account? Some of the advanced
>> options I don't really know what they do.
>>
>>  It's really a shame because I was so pleased to finally have found a
>> mobile sip client that really works. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>

> Hi Henrik,
>
> as usual the main battery energy leak in *idle* is 3G TX (and to a lower
> degree 2(.5)G as well). TX occurs for each bit of data sent upstream to the
> internet including TCP ACK for downstream TCP data.
>
> So a SIP user agent *may* idle completely for hours, just waiting for an
> inbound call. But usually you see TX activity caused by re-registrations, NAT
> keep-alive pkgs, MWI notification, propagation of own online status, updating
> online status of contacts(!), STUN, hosted NAT traversal, and even arbitrary
> bogus data packages inbound to port 5060 or the RTP ports.
> Alas there's relatively little you can do about this, as most of the issues
> depend on your SIP registrar's and your GSM/UMTS provider's config of their
> services.
>
> You could install SIP Swiss army knife User Agent twinkle [1] - probably to
> your PC as regrettably there's no N900 or even ARM version I'd know of -
> tether N900 to PC to use the 3G of your provider, and then try if you find
> some better settings for the 512 knobs and dials you can tweak SIP with.
> Things like changing port from 5060 to a value not associated to SIP come to
> mind, as it's even possible your carrier isn't interested that much in a
> working SIP over his network. If you're really going to dive into that, feel
> free to ping me on IRC [2], I might still be able to walk you through
> twinkle's various functions and settings, and help create and interpret decent
> twinkle logs.
>
> FWIW: My SIP account at sipgate.de seems to work relatively flawless, though I
> never thoroughly tested the maximum battery endurance when connected strictly
> via 3G only.

Thanks for this very helpful information. It seems to help if I allow
my N900 to switch to selected WiFi netwworks when available. Also, I
wonder what the N900 SIP account settings "Keep.alive-mechanism" and
"Keep-alive-period" and the switchable "Automatic STUN detection" may
do to the power consumption. The fact that your SIP account appears to
work well without draining the battery suggests that this is an issue
that may be resolved by tweaking the settings, (or, as was suggested
in another reply, a new firmware. What's your firmware Joerg?) Also, I
shoud point out that the SIP client works excellent, the only problem
is it's draining the battery.

Thanks,

/Henrik