Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On 8/31/09, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alexandru Cardaniuc wrote:
>> So, why are Visor PDAs dead then ?
>>

> They're no more dead than the Commodore 64, the Amiga, BeOS, OS/2,
> OpenVMS, etc. So long as there's a niche user base, there will be niche
> developers. But don't expect there to be any huge advances in technology
> for any of those platforms -- though there are now several ethernet
> cards for the C64 that didn't exist 10-27 years ago.
>
> -Gary

...And even if you do consider them dead at this point, they still
were produced and supported *far* longer by Handspring/Palm than the
pitiful year or so that Nokia has produced and supported each of its
tablets. That is even more inexcusable because the tablets are *much*
closer to a desktop in power than the Visor and first several
generations of Palms ever were, and the hardware has at least an order
of magnitude more potential. A device that is only produced and
supported for a year should be a tip-off to users, especially after
the third occurrence. My N800 was only the second iteration and it
hadn't yet stopped production when I bought mine, so I didn't have
that history to consult. At this point, I've learned far too much
about Nokia and their tablets to jump on the N9x0 bandwagon until at
least 18 months after they come to market...

Mark