Re: N810 for $180

The SmartQ5 noted in the link below is one of those looks nice,
but....   Close to vaporware, worked, but slow because of processor
limitations.  An "updated" version supposedly has the same limits, but
tweaks the size.  http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/smartq.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture.   Seems there's currently
an ARM processor speed wall for handheld devices that hasn't been
breached to any significant degree.  It's likely this is what might be
limiting the evolution of the next generation of handheld devices.  Why
come out with something new just for the sake of new, when it's
performance has about the same limits as the current generation of
devices, which generally are software, not hardware, defined?

In small computing evolutionary terms, Netbooks originally were limited
to around 800M Atom processors.  Now they're up to 1.8G or perhaps
higher with good battery life.

 As I understand it, the current generation of tablet devices run from
400M (n800) to a notch over 600M in speed (Ipod Touch), perhaps with
burst capability that shortens battery life a bit (various phones and
Iphone).  Doubling speed to 1200 or higher in the next generation would
seem to be a reasonable objective. In other words, developing a next
generation of hand held devices is a work in progress with a hard limit
-- it's kind of hard to put together a device without the hardware to
work with.  If the enabling hardware for speed improvement is a year or
so out, a functional device is at least that far out.

As for the notion that the next generation's OS will be incompatible
with the current generation, IMHO, that's bunk.  The hardware interface
to the various devices will be different, but a screen will be a screen,
sound sound, etc, etc.  An appropriately designed OS (such as Ubuntu)
should be able to handle most of these sorts of device compatibility
issues without much problem -- assuming the necessary info for (legacy)
device interfaces is provided by Nokia.  Purposefully orphaning a
moderately developed stage of device evolution (such as the n800)  is a
management decision that, IMHO, would be poor decision.  Legacy support
would seem to be easy to provide and would promote and endear an
important software support base that could greatly speed future device
evolution as well as support those of the past.

Always, Fred C