Re: N810 for $180

Mark wrote:
> Even if the form factor is the same, the processor etc. is supposed to
> be completely different. That's why Freemantle won't run on the
> current tablets without being ported. Aren't the current tablets
> OMAP2? The new versions will be OMAP3 and have 3D graphics acceleration.

True enough. OMAP2 refers to the TI OMAP (Open Multimedia Application
Platform) 2420 SoC whereas the N900 will allegedly ship with the OMAP
3430. I can't say I'm surprised by this development, though. Apple has a
much larger install base with their PowerPC Mac users but the upcoming
OS X Snow Leopard will not support PPC architecture. Granted, the N800
was released in Jan '07 and the N810 in October of the same year. So it
sounds like Mer is the way to go for N8X0 users. q.v.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_OMAP and the previously
posted link to Mer.

-Gary