Re: N810 for $180

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That reminds me -- the N900 is supposed to include GPRS and HSPA but I
don't see how that's any indication of it being more than a data device.
Sure, it may be subsidized by carriers but so are a few net books now
and they're not phones. Also, I don't see anything in the specs the
Mobilecrunh released that are that different from the current gen IT
(e.g. screen size, etc) that would make Freemantle unable to run on the
N8X0 tablets. So where did the rumor start that it won't run on current
hardware or is this just speculation based on the transition from the
N770 to the N8X0? q.v. http://tr.im/oFOd

-Gary

It's *not* a "rumor".

Even if the form factor is the same, the processor etc. is supposed to be completely different. That's why Freemantle won't run on the current tablets without being ported. Aren't the current tablets OMAP2? The new versions will be OMAP3 and have 3D graphics acceleration.

See:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_roadmap/Fremantle
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-developers/re-n810_rip/?org_openpsa_qbpager_net_nemein_discussion_posts_page=1#09a93c54f11e11dda28bcbaa4b36da13da13
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-developers/re-n810_rip/?org_openpsa_qbpager_net_nemein_discussion_posts_page=1#19f89e38f11e11dd84e4951ddcd5c7fdc7fd