Re: N810 for $180

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Kevin T.
Neely<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm doing nothing of the kind.  I took your metric: the SDK and simply
> compared the two of them.

You certainly are: I'm not using the SDK as a metric, Jamie is. I was
discounting that as a reliable metric.

> Also, Mark is once again doing his famous argument
> which is bring up one thing and then ignore it later.  He says the IT is not
> for the end user and only for developers, then complains that it does not
> have a mature and robust PIM system (something I have yet to be convinced
> that it needs, but that is another discussion).

Once again, you totally misunderstand and misrepresent my arguments.
What I'm saying is that the ITs are marketed to anybody who will buy
them, including clueless consumers. (Buy.com is a huge
consumer-oriented site, not an obscure company catering to
developers...) But Nokia treats them like developer's toys, and
doesn't support them the way they should. Nokia is the one that is
speaking with forked tongue.

I bought my N800 because I took the bait and thought it was a
consumer-level device because of everything I saw in the sales
material. I was duped. I like my tablet, but it's turned out to be
nothing but a toy. It can do lots of neat things, but in every area it
falls just short of fulfilling its potential: it can display moving
maps, but can't actually navigate; it can do PIM-like things (after
installing third-party apps), but can't easily and reliably sync all
of that data; it can do basic text files, but the shipped app uses a
proprietary format and it can't open or edit any actual office
documents; it can be a media player, but is limited as to the formats
and especially video resolution/bitrates (it can't even do native
screen resolution, only a quarter of screen resolution); the list goes
on and on...

Maybe *you* are never offline, but anybody who needs offline access to
their complete contact database/schedule/etc. *does* need a PIM. And
who wants to carry around multiple devices when one is enough?

> You can place one in the 'cons' column, but not both.  No double-dipping
> allowed!

I give up. You people and your straw-man arguments will never be convinced.

Mark