Re: Where is telnet?

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Matan Ziv-Av <matan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009, Mark wrote:
>
>> Sigh... would you please read the references before relying on your
>> memory? NetBIOS/NetBEUI was included in the *basic* Windows 3.1; WFW
>> 3.11 added features, including Winsock.
>
> Actually, the link you gave specifically says that WfW 3.11 shipped without
> TCP/IP support:
>
> "Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (originally codenamed Snowball) was released on
> 11 August 1993,[4] and shipped in November 1993.[5] It supported 32-bit file
> access, full 32-bit network redirectors, and the VCACHE.386 file cache,
> shared between them. The standard execution mode of the Windows kernel was
> discontinued in Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
>
> A Winsock package was required to support TCP/IP networking in Windows 3.x.
> Usually third-party packages were used, but in August 1994 Microsoft
> released an add-on package (codenamed Wolverine) that provided limited
> TCP/IP support in Windows for Workgroups 3.11."
>

>> See here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.11
>
> --
> Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Originally... As I said, it came preinstalled on my machine...

But this is all beside the point, because the whole point of the
conversation was that yes, telnet has been integral to Windows for
well over a decade. Even if it were never available in 3.11, it most
certainly was in Win95.

Here's one of many how tos:
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/technicallibrary/misc/telnet/telnet.html

And here's one that very clearly includes Windows 3.11:
http://www.computerhope.com/software/telnet.htm

And more indications of telnet on Win3.11:
http://www.sxlist.com/techref/app/inet/telnet.htm
http://www.internettechboston.com/2007/06/28/windows-vista-comes-with-telnet-uninstalled/

So, regardless of the TCP/IP stack, Windows 3.11 did in fact include
telnet out of the box. So there! :-P

Mark