Re: Where is telnet?

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> Also, sometimes SSH fails under its own weight. I'm having a problem
>> where I can't access one server because the second the login is
>> accepted it starts spewing garbage and crashes Putty. Obviously
>> something is going wrong with the decryption. The exact same app and
>> server work fine on my other machines, so I'm stumped.
>>

> That's a client side issue as you've most likely got different versions
> of PuTTY on each system. sshd is pretty light on resource use -- even
> better if you're using dropbear. So unless you're using antiquated
> hardware or don't care about sending your credentials in plaintext,
> telnet's only useful for debugging. I've found netcat (nc) to be more
> useful since it can listen as well as connect.
>
> -Gary

It's obviously client-side, but the versions are identical: kubuntu
9.04, Putty the identical most recent version available. I've tried
deleting the profile and re-adding it, but that doesn't work. I think
I need to figure out how to purge the key and reload it. There isn't
anything obvious in the GUI to do that, but I haven't spent a lot of
time investigating because accessing that particular server isn't
critical to me, and I can always boot over to Windows if I really need
to. Or even use the tablet, as it's connecting fine with OpenSSH.

As I said, sometimes I *don't* care about sending my credentials in
plaintext, because there's no possibility of anyone using them against
me in any way that matters. I just don't use credentials that I use
anywhere else. In fact, that can be a *good* thing, as in
misdirection...

I can lug my wallet around in a safe if I'm that paranoid, but
personally I think I have bigger things to worry about than my wallet
if I'm being mugged, and someone can still take the whole safe and
crack it at their leisure. Overkill is overkill, and paranoia is
seldom useful.

I can understand being careful about preventing ID theft/fraud (I am
myself), but being paranoid about every little thing is absurd. I
mean, really, why do you care if somebody reads your emails or
overhears your conversations, unless you're doing something you
shouldn't? There's a big difference between being reasonably careful
and being paranoid.

And if you live somewhere that you're being oppressed for things that
are perfectly acceptable, that's you're fault. You have options:
either take an active role in changing things, or move somewhere else.
Bitching, moaning and complaining to people who can't do anything
about it and being paranoid all the time isn't going to solve anything
and in fact only makes things worse.

Mark