Re: Where is telnet?

Mark wrote:
> Also, sometimes SSH fails under its own weight. I'm having a problem
> where I can't access one server because the second the login is
> accepted it starts spewing garbage and crashes Putty. Obviously
> something is going wrong with the decryption. The exact same app and
> server work fine on my other machines, so I'm stumped.

That's a client side issue as you've most likely got different versions
of PuTTY on each system. sshd is pretty light on resource use -- even
better if you're using dropbear. So unless you're using antiquated
hardware or don't care about sending your credentials in plaintext,
telnet's only useful for debugging. I've found netcat (nc) to be more
useful since it can listen as well as connect.

-Gary