Re: Where is telnet?

Mark wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> FWIW, I've often used ssh on my N800 to remotely access my home
>> network.  It works fine.
>>

> ...a server & device over which *you* have total control and which
> *has* SSH available. Such is *not* always the case...

FWIW, I work extensively with networking and telecommunications
equipment.  As I mentioned in anther note, only one company's products
won't do ssh.  Linux supports ssh out of the box and you have to do a
bit of work to enable telnet access to a Linux system.  I don't think
you can telnet to a Windows box, without adding software.  The last OS I
worked with that easily supported telnet access was OS/2.  Anyone who'd
use telnet over the internet is asking for trouble as it's very easy to
read the user ID & password.  A few years ago, I demonstrated to my
manager how easy it was to do so.  Telnet should only be used when ssh
is not available.  Also, I'd question the security of any system where
it wasn't available.  Are you likely to have problems on a home
network?  No.  But it should never be used anywhere else.