Re: Nokia device usage

John Holmblad a écrit :
> Jean-Christian,
>
> interesting. And from the diagram I see your point.
>
> Of course the N95 is a full function mobile phone and based on that N95
> diagram I would expect that the heavy lifting of the 3G voice and HSPA
> protocols for voice and non-voice (packet) data above the physical layer
> would be implemented/managed between the Baseband  and the Application
> processor shown in that diagram as Texas Instruments devices. This in
> turn would suggest to me that that whether a device of this hardware
> design does or does not support 3G voice (not HSPA packetized voice)
> would be determined by whatever firmware/software is on the device and
> not by the hardware components in this design.
>
> I should also note that one of the mobile device component suppliers, ST
> Ericsson, for their AERO RF TRANSCEIVER RF component family  does
> mention in their marketing brochure  available as an Adobe Acrobat .pdf
> at the www page whose url is
>
>     http://www.stericsson.com/sales_marketing_resources/RFBR_1.pdf
>
> that these components can be used for either
>
>     Tri-band HSPA + quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE digital cellular handsets
>
>     or
>
>     Tri-band HSPA + quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE digital cellular data modems
>
> In other words, the components suppliers such as ST Ericsson realize
> that their customers (the mobile handset manufacturers) may be
> interested in non-voice data devices as well as full function handsets.
> But here again that differentiation ( data device only vs full handset)
> would be determined by baseband firmware/software.

The handset or modem are only "targeted applications". A transceiver is
mostly a analog chip. At this stage of the 2G/3G chain, there is little
if no difference between the voice and the data streams. And if it
exists at all, the voice will probably be a simpler configuration of the
circuit required to make HSPA.

As you point out, the question is now focused on the baseband processor,
and more probably his firmware. If this is the case, then the cost will
be a bad excuse to not have voice and SMS support, especially for a high
end device.

Best Regards,
--
Jean-Christian de Rivaz