Re: Iphone + tethering - No Way

Jonathan,

it occurs to me that the bottleneck is probably due to the fact that

    a) the computer that is being reached by the RDP session and where
    the www browser is running is behind an Asymmetric DSL circuit  to
    the Internet. I ran a speed test on that connection and the
    bandwidth in the direction TO the Internet and the tethered laptop
    from that computer is only ~369 kbps measured using the bandwidth
    test at the www page whose url is

            http://www.speakeasy/net/speedtest

combined with the fact that

    b) on the tethered laptop side of the connection the measured
    bandwidth in the direction from the laptop + mobile device TO the
    Internet is only ~64kbps as measured using the same bandwidth test.

Thus the large and frequent (due to the dancing baloney etc)
differential graphics frames being "played out" from the computer to the
laptop RDP client at the above average bit rate of ~369 kbps combined
with the TCP ACK packets being returned at the ~64kbps bit rate are
conspiring to deliver relatively poor performance,

One of the reasons why a direct visit to a www site (i.e. not through
the RDP/VNC/Server based browser) but through a browser running on the
tethered laptop seems to work better is that, of course, the browser can
and does open up multiple TCP connections to grab the image and other
content from the visited www site wherever that www site is located on
the Internet.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

 Acadia Secure Networks, LLC