Re: Unix vs Windows security (was Re: Nokia device usage)

George Farris wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 22:15 -0600, Mark Haury wrote:
>
>> James Knott wrote:
>> Windows doesn't need (never has, and never will) to have the capability for
>> simultaneous users. What would be the point? As PCs continue to shrink in size
>> as they increase in power, it makes a lot more sense for everybody to have their
>> own separate computer and not share someone else's. Home networking is a
>> no-brainer if they want or need to share anything.
>>

> The point my friend, would be to separate the different processes such
> as apache, postfix, desktop apps etc into different user ids thus
> gaining a logical, built in, separation of security boundaries.

The point I made about Citrix is that many companies have a need to run
multiple users on a server.  Citrix came up with a way to make that
possible, as Windows by itself can't do that.  While you can have
multiple users on Windows, they can't be on at the same time.  That sort
of thing comes standard with Linux or Unix.