Re: Nokia device usage

Mark wrote:
> And the only reason that Linux and Macs are so relatively safe from
> viruses and worms is because they aren't targeted, not because they
> are fundamentally more secure.

Well, considering that most web sites run Apache on Linux or Unix, I'm
not so sure about that.  And if you investigate the way Windows and
Linux/Unix are designed, I'm certain you're wrong.  You might want to
read up on how IE became so tightly coupled with the OS.  You can start
with the Netscape vs Microsoft trial, where MS claimed IE could not be
removed, because it was part of the OS.  At that time it wasn't, but
next version of Windows (W98 IIRC) it was and as a result, Windows has
been wide open to attack via IE.  Then you can look at how difficult it
is for a virus to propagate in Linux/Unix because a user cannot write to
files outside his authorized areas etc.  And, of course, Unix was
designed from the ground up to be multiuser and had appropriate
protection mechansims built in.  Windows was built on top of single user
DOS and then tried to have all the holes fixed.

Bottom line, there are a lot of technical and usage reasons that make it
much harder for malware to attack Linux/Unix.