Re: Nokia device usage

kenneth,

I have not read the HSDPA spec myself but my assumption is that it is
"all packet, all the time"  As the "P" implies in "HSDPA"

UMTS, as a superset of HSDPA incorporates  various  QOS  and other
features (roaming, voice connection awareness, etc) that are needed in
order to properly handle voice traffic as a part of the total packet
stream on a UMTS network. As I understand it, the key difference between
voice traffic on a 3g network vs voice traffic on a 4 g network such as
one based on,  LTE, or  WIMAX  is that on a 4 g network the network core
is packetized and runs IP (or at least an connectionless packetized core
with a network protocol that looks like IP) with QOS enhancements for
the voice packets. On the other hand, on a 3 g network with HSUPA or
HSDPA, the voice traffic, although it may be statistically multiplexed,
is not competing for the same bandwidth as the HSUPA/HSDPA packets.
Perhaps a 3G expert on this list could clarify this somewhat subtle
point. if not I will dig into the spec myself to figure this out.

I have always (professionally speaking) considered voice as  a
particular case of data (bits if you will) with specific
characteristics, i.e. connection oriented, duplex content flow,
streaming, delay sensitive, and relatively narrow bandwidth (i.e.
frequency limited) per "conversation"/connection.

My assumption is that most GSM mobile network service providers who are
evolving to 3G are building HSDPA overlay networks  to first (and
primarily) convey non-voice data (by my definition, above, not an
oxymoron)  just as the CDMA based mobile network service providers have
built EVDO overlays to do the same thing. In other words those GSM
service providers are not attempting to move their voice traffic to UMTS
right away.

A key difference  between HSDPA/UMTS on the one hand and EVDO/CDMA on
the other (in terms of application of the underlying technology)  is
that, in the U.S. at least the CDMA/EVDO providers (the largest being
Verizon and Sprint) are not themselves using EVDO to convey voice
although the end user of EVDO service could certainly do so (e.g. SKYPE
or arrangement with a SIP trunking provider). They are using EVDO
service to meet new and growing demand for broadband wireless Internet
access.

On the other hand mobile service providers who are evolving from GSM to
3G/UMTS can, if they so choose, start to move their voice traffic over
to their UMTS infrastructure (equipment and RF) and do so gradually by
providing their customers with dual mode 2g/3g handsets. Although the
UMTS standard, supports call handoff from GSM to UMTS, I have to wonder
how much of that is actually going on right now since the user would
have a dual mode (GSM + 3G) handset and the network would have to be
engineered to implement such inter-technology (GSM<=>3G) handoff/roaming.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC

* *