Installing packages onto /media/...

I have a nicely-running N800, but the apps I use are taking up most of
the internal space. I want to add a couple of big ones (TeX is one) and
I have plenty of space on SD cards. Is there a command for package
installation that says, in effect, "install this all in /media/foo/bar
and symlink it back to where you would normally have installed it"? Or
some other way? I guess if I knew how to view the inside of a package I
could work out where all the big stuff is expecting to go, and create
symlinks in those places to the SD cards...or would that make the
installer spit blood when it finds that symlinks exist where it expected
to create new directories?

///Peter