Re: Nokia device usage

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:48:26AM -0700, Mark wrote:

>>> And? This is exactly how Nokia's positioned them, so it sounds like the plan
>>> is working really well.
>>>

>> That is as Benjamin Disraeli would say it, a "damned lie". Your
>> unrealistic protests notwithstanding, these things have been and still
>> are being sold as consumer devices, and nowhere are they referred to
>> as being aimed at hackers.
>>

> On several occasions people from Nokia with official-sounding titles
> (such as "Vice President") explicitly say that they expect it will take
> around five generations for the Internet Tablets to be consumer-ready.
> The N810 is 3rd generation.
>
> I'd provide references if I weren't a lazy bum.
>
> Marius Gedminas

Here is one:

"If you look at the Internet tablet segment, it’s not dying at all, on
the contrary -- it's our future. I remember saying at some launch even
that it would take five generations of the Internet Tablet devices to
really make them mass consumer products -- so far, we have launched only
three generations and the fourth is in the making at this very moment,
based on the Maemo software that is written for touch-based products, so
it's a very important asset for us."

Taken from http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14786 - it is
apparently a statement made by a Nokia VP.

I guess I should have had the foresight to google "five generations
consumer ready nokia" before buying my N800 ;)

Thanks,
Ognen