Re: Nokia device usage

Eero Tamminen wrote:
> Hi,

>>> Oh great, you are comparing an ultra low-power 320MHZ ARM CPU (RISC)
>>> vs a 1Ghz x86 CISC.
>>
>> It is not about computational power comparison, it is about
>> functionality. If I can spend the same amount of money and get
>> something that does the same job WAY better and is close in size and
>> weight, why buy the underpowered thing?
>
> From the technical point of view, the size difference is huge.
>
> More powerful CPU + integrated GPU and much larger amount of RAM will
> consume a lot more power.  The larger form of Netbook can accommodate
> a much larger battery and dissipate the heat generated by the HW and
> battery.  You cannot fit such a battery to a smaller device and such
> power usage would fry the smaller device.
>

>     - Eero
>
> PS. Some historical perspective...
>
> To some extent, the early contributions Nokia did to open source helped
> OLPC to get started (at least they affected the OLPC technology
> selections).   Whereas OLPC kicked the netbook marked into existence.
> This then forced Microsoft to re-consider its licensing so you got
> Windows option for Netbooks too.
Eero,

Point taken. I was talking in terms of cost effectiveness. If you only
have $250 to spend on a single device and you are looking for small,
portable, decent battery life and do as many things well as possible
without forcing me to carry pounds of weight around - my choice would
currently be an Eee. I have the Linux version on which I put Ubuntu and
it works great, not to mention that it actually has the power to allow
me proper web browsing, proper movie watching etc. It is also small
enough to let me walk it around the house or take on vacation, has USB,
ethernet jack etc.

Someone made the comment that it would take five generations to make the
tablet come to its full utility (apparently N810 is gen 3). Well maybe
so but what about all the people who bought gen 1 and 2 (and even gen
3)? Someone else said that a buyer should do their homework prior to
purchase. I agree with that but some things are impossible to judge from
tech specs until the thing is in front of you to test.

Either way, I am glad I asked the question in this group. It seems like
most people found some use for their tablet and that most are happy with
the way it works for their specific purpose. At the same time most also
seemed to think that there is lots of space for improvement and that
certain things did not work as advertised.

Ognen