Re: Itouch v N8x0

On 12/23/08, hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So exactly what model is your keyboard?
>
> It's an alphasmart neo.  I've never found another keyboard that feels as
> good when I'm typing.  And it can be used separate from the computer,
> too, wherupon is saves up what you type so that later, at the computer,
> it uploads everything by typing it into you word processor.  It runs on
> three AA batteries for about nine months of normal use.
>
>> I don't have any trouble with
>> my self-powered USB hub and/or keyboard in any configuration. I
>> suspect that your keyboard isn't quite USB compliant and requires a
>> driver (that may exist by default and load automatically in other
>> OSs).
>
>   The keyboard works without special effort on Windows, Mac, and
> Debian Linux.  But yes, perhaps maemo has left out a driver that was
> present in Debian.  And maybe it demands power from the USB port in
> hookup mode that it doesn't need otherwise.  Perhaps draining USB power
> is how it recognises there's a computer there.
>
> I just know it's annoying.
>
> -- hendrik

I'll bet it's a power issue, not a driver one. Try hooking it up
through a powered hub: if it works, that means it needs power for the
additional electronics that the tablet can't provide. If it doesn't
work, it's probably a driver issue. I know that my N800 can't power
USB memory drives, but works fine with my keyboards. Although it's
amazing to me that it actually can power the receiver for my wireless
keyboard. I would have thought that that would take at least as much
power as a memory drive, but apparently not.

Mark