Re: Repeat quetion : Diablo update to OS2008HE ? (Was: Software Choices for New Nokia 770?)

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM, gary liquid <liquid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Denis,
>
> From the very first day I bought my tablet I knew I was on borrowed time.
> Just the same as when I purchase a new desktop or laptop or car or phone.
> Evolutions occur and hardware becomes old.

Talk about "disposable society"... Have you no shame? Hardware only
becomes obsolete if you are a slave to fashion or are a compulsive
gamer. My laptop is over 8 years old, and I'd still be happy and using
it if the backlight hadn't gone out last fall. My car is a 2000 model
with 100,000 miles, and I maintain it very well and wouldn't trade it
for a new one if you paid me. My phone doesn't even have a camera, and
I'll probably never get another one unless it dies or I change
providers to a different network type. My desktop PC is a Via Epia
M10000, and if it weren't for the electronics manufacturers' lobby
successfully pressuring the legislation that forced HDTV
(planned/forced obsolescence on the grandest scale!!! >:o  ) I
wouldn't be looking to upgrade that, either. I wouldn't have tried to
set aside my Handspring Visor if it weren't for my N800, although it
turns out I _can't_ set it aside because the ITs don't have a PIM that
plays nicely with my data....

Newer and faster is all too often NOT better!!!

Mark,

you are 100% right of course and the current generation devices will continue to work till the end of days.

A lot of people buy devices as tools and they will work as expected, but a great number of people buy things because they appeal, and will upgrade at some arbitary point in the future when the next thing appeals to them.

I spent a lot of money on my device and had very high expectations of it - when I bought it I found I could not scroll text like I used to on my old pda book reader, and other things jumped at me - like in your case.

I have had ideas in my head and in code for the last few years about how I want to interact with a touch device.
I am getting close to my goal and the n8x0 has shown me its possible, but you would not believe just how much hacking and sidestepping and pieces of lateral thinking I have had to go through to get it running as *I* want.

Please go and see what I have achieved (the first video will show you what I do on my current n810 machine):

http://liqbase.net/

This is a piece of custom crafted extremely optimized software which is simply not possible using the current standard tools on these devices.

The next generation *should* enable decent UI features which most normal users appreciate without making the developers tear their hair out to give them.

Gary