Re: Repeat quetion : Diablo update to OS2008HE ? (Was: Software Choices for New Nokia 770?)

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Flegg <andrew@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Luca wrote:
>>
>> > Shall we expect Nokia to simply cease development work and stop
>> > everything because they have users of a current generation who can't
>> > use the newer faster better way of doing something?
>>
>> I can run the latest linux distribution on an almost 10 years old
>> computer, and I assure you that the distro
>> maker didn't stand still to cater for me.
>
> I've heard this argujment before and *can* relate to it. However:
>
>    * The difference between a PIII and a modern processor
>      is, in many ways, smaller than the difference
>      between OMAP2420 (and the surrounding architecture)
>      and the OMAP3430.
>
>    * Having a good usable UI on a Maemo 5 device /and/
>      a decent user experience on an N810 will cost
>      more to develop.

Only if Nokia *deliberately* tries to make the current tablets
obsolete. Actually, it will cost more for Nokia to develop a new OS
from the ground-up in order to support completely different hardware
than it would for them to evolve the current OS and hardware.

> Nokia *can't* ship a sub-
>      standard UI (if Maemo 5'll be as good as planned)
>      and officially support it.
>
>> Heck, I could even use lxde instead of kde4 if I really cared about its
>> slowness.
>
> And things like Debian will allow you to replace Maemo with something else; or keep Maemo 4. Nokia's plans to differentiate at the UI layer, and open the lower layers will help with other replacements at the higher levels - just as you describe.

Yeah, they instigated the maemo community in order to have an excuse
to abandon support for hardware that is actually quite new. The N810
hasn't even been out a year yet, and everybody's talking like it's a
dinosaur. They had lots of choices for hardware at every stage of the
tablet game, and if they didn't start out with something more cutting
edge, that's their problem, and shouldn't be ours.

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

You're trying to tell us that we *want* newer, different hardware. I'm
telling you that no, the N800 is *exactly* what I want in form factor
and every other hardware feature. The only thing that is lacking is
some fundamental software - that does *not* require any more
horsepower.

The way they're headed, Nokia is ensuring that this is the one and
only Nokia product I will ever buy. They are also killing any chance
they would have had to make an impact with other consumers.

Mark