Re: I just got n810 I have some ?

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Peter Bart <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:29:43 -0400
> hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:23:50PM -0700, Jeff Treague wrote:
>> > 3.Is there a way to use the n810 as a planer? Date, phone #, and
>> > apointments.
>>
>> I use GPE calendar.  It has no specific provision for phone number,
>> but there is a separate GPE Contacts program that does that.  The two
>> don't seem to talk with one another.  Last I looked, the GPE Contacts
>> did not pave provision for street addresses -- only electroninc comm.
>> (yes, taht includes telephone).  I stick street addresses in one of
>> the slots for electronic addresses for protocols I don't use.  It'll
>> probably bit me someday, but it hasn't yet.
>
>        I use and have used GPE since I got my first 770. GPE Contacts
> provides for two address's per contact. When creating/editing a
> contact, under the locations tab there are spaces following the
> home/work number slots. It has worked very well for me.

Clarification: GPE provides for two complete addresses, including
physical addresses and "notes". I haven't been able to satisfactorily
import my data, though. YMMV.

>> > 4. Is there a program to take notes that works with windows and
>> > what is it?
>>
>> The utilities->notes program created HTML files, which can be read
>> almost everywhere.
>
>        Leafpad is now in the main repositories, I believe it
> creates .txt files? My favorite because it allows multiple files open.
> There is also the antiword/docreader combination that let you view .doc
> files and also Abiword. I have no experience with Abiword,  I believe
> it allows you to create/edit MS documents.

Leafpad is great! I wish I had known about it sooner.

As with the Desktop version of Abiword, I have had zero success trying
to get Abiword working with MS Word or OpenDoc documents - it will
"open" them, but the contents are just garbage. It won't even open
plain text files. Abiword is only useful if you can deal with the
limitation of only using its own proprietary format. There are rumours
of an armel port of OOo, but there's no install for maemo. The
built-in "Notes" app is probably best if you need some basic
formatting control and the ability to read the files elsewhere, but
HTML isn't exactly optimized for word processing...

>> > 6. Can I use highter than a 2gb sd card and is there any I need to
>> > do to do this besides putting in a higher sd card?
>>
>> There are regular reports that 8G SDHC cards work fine on an N800,
>> although some manufacturers produce bad cards and they don't work.
>> I've heard rumours of 16G being OK.   Apparently Nokia only
>> guarantees what's actually been tested and found to work;  their
>> hardware seems to be more capable than their guarantees.

I'm using two Class 6 8G SDHC cards (the cheapest I could find) on my
N800 and have had zero problems.

>> > 7. What is the best way to use the web cam? Is there a way to take
>> > video with it?
>>
>> I suspect the CPU isn't fast enough for that, but I could be wrong.

There is a "Videocamera" app that I've used successfully on my N800,
but since the N810 camera is stationary it would probably have limited
use on those. Bearing in mind that it's a low-res camera, so while it
isn't that much of a strain on the CPU it's not exactly HD quality...

Mark