Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

El Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:53:40 -0600
Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> The discussion is about "real" mail servers

My server is as real as it gets, in fact I'm using it every day.

> that are running on the
> Internet somewhere else

check

> and serving large numbers of accounts, with

why? I don't need a large number of accounts at home.

> many large files etc.

check

> A local server running on a LAN is irrelevant to the discussion.

If you say so...

> Pretty much *any* hardware can do that for *any* protocol.
>
> Your setup may be able to handle IMAP just fine, but it could at least
> as easily handle POP3.

Yes, but then I'd lose all of the advantages of imap. Anyway my point
is that imap isn't a resource hog, not much more than pop. Of course it
also depends on your choice of server (I'm using cyrus) and how you
tune it (not really an issue in my case).

> If you're running it on an ARM system
you
> clearly are not leaving messages (especially with large attachments)
> on the server indefinitely (there's no ARM system I know of that has
> the storage for that)

My arm system[*] has currently 250 giga bytes of storage (easily
expandable by either replacing the built-in disk or adding more via
usb), so I'm clearly leaving all my messages there, neatly filed in
various subfolders automatically by the server, and enjoying the same
consistent message store regardless of my current location, device or
mail reader program.

[*]that I use because it's cheap, small, quiet and
consumes only an handful of watts, perfect as an home server.

> , so you're really using it as if it were a POP3
> system anyway...

Thank you for letting me know ;-)

> Anyway, I didn't say that IMAP was a "resource hog" in the grand
> scheme of computing, only in comparison with POP3.

Well, my personal experience tells me that it isn't.

Bye
--
Luca