Re: Can I run java on n810

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Aaron Newcomb <anewcomb2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not a coder, but if I stay at Sun (I was effected by their recent
> layoffs) I would be happy to ask for help from developers in getting a
> port done. I guess just point them at the SDK and tell them it's build
> on ARM. Anything else they need to know? Seems like everything is
> right there on the Maemo site.

Since Nokia is very anti-Java -at least for the tablets-
http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&message.id=29858
 and doesn't consider it a relevant technology to have on the N8X0 ...
I guess pushing Sun to provide its own ready-to-install binaries with
full Swing support (despite Nokia) is the only choice....

For the last year Nokia has been consistently sucking up to Redmondia....

Nokia and Microsoft ink DRM deal
http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-nokia-microsoft-ink-drm-deal/

Microsoft Silverlight coming to the Internet Tablet
http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/03/04/microsoft-silverlight-coming-to-the-internet-tablet/

"We want to educate open source developers. There are certain business
rules [developers] need to obey, such as DRM, IPR [intellectual
property rights], SIM locks, and
subsidizehttp://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/11c1ea5da02cb850d business
models," Jaaski told attendees of the Handsets World conference in
Berlin. In other words, the open source community needs to learn how
to keep things closed.

source:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2008/06/nokia_open_sour.html

Here is J2ME partly working
http://justanapplication.wordpress.com/2007/09/18/java-personal-profile-on-the-n800/

I guess if Sun really wanted (and were given a business case) they
could put a handful of engineers into it, and get it running in a week
or two.

Dr. Dobbs recently ran a good article on Java and the Nokia tablets...
which shows the promise of the platform but sadly (since it's written
from a developer's point of view) does not adress the shortcoming of
the lack of an official JRE...
http://www.ddj.com/java/208801979?pgno=1

I think it'd be great if a group of N800/N810 users approached Sun
Micro with this "business case" for Sun to do an officially supported
JRE build for the Nokia Tablets. Even from a PR point of view it'd
help show that Nokia was not right in ignoring Java... so Sun in all
its kindness, vowing to "popular pressure" delivered the Java support
that *customers wanted* .... :-)

Here's a list of some people that might help make a case internally....

Clayton.Cornell@xxxxxxx <-n800 user
walter.bays@xxxxxxx <- from Sun's Green Computing initiative, owns a N800
hinkmond.wong@xxxxxxx <- in charge of the multiple volunteer porting
efforts, after Java was open sourced.

I think doing a carefully worded petition on petitiononline.com and
then signing it and only later contacting the people above and
pointing to it, *could* work.

But don't look at me to do it. I'm well past my sleep threshold....
FC