Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

"ext John Holmblad" <jholmblad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Kalle,

Hi John,

> thanks for the response,and yes, after another day of work with the
> upgraded OS on the N800 I concluded that the N800 was low on battery
> as a result of either
>
> a) the unit was not fully charged to begin with, or
>
> b) for a while I used the speakers on the N800 to listen to the radio
> while I was working, or
>
> c)  the processor was working hard while doing the downloads/upgrades.
>
> At this point the unit is behaving quite nicely from a power
> consumption perspective even though the wilaninfo app shows signal
> quality at ~40% with the poll interval set to 5 sec.

Ok, let's hope that the problem you saw was just a random glitch.

> It also appears that all of my client wireless cards are running
> 802.11g because the wilaninfo app is showing the raw channel rate as
> fluctuating between  36, 48, and 54mbps.

Actually 11g devices can always use 54 Mbps even if there are 11b
devices around. What the AP will do is that it will enable the so
called ERP protection methods CTS-to-Self and long slot time, which
make it possible for 11g devices to still use higher bitrates.

--
Kalle Valo