Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

Kalle.

thanks for sharing your deep, if sleep deprived,  insights re 802.11
power management.

I have read them out of both general interest in the workings of 802.11
but also as a result of the fact that just this weekend I upgraded my
N800 to OS2008 (~20 minutes-yeah) and reinstalled/upgraded/tested most
of my apps (~7 hours-boo).

As you know, the 802.11g standard  which uses OFDM modulation supports
backward compatibility with 802.11b which uses DSSS modulation. Does the
PSM method you describe work the same way for 802.11g irrespective of
which modulation method is being used by the radio? I should think so.
However, the reason I ask this question relates to the following
observation:

After the OS upgrade I started getting low battery warnings when my N800
was not connected to AC power for "a while" (less than a few hours).  I
do not remember having this problem when my N800 was running OS2007.

Noteworthy here is the fact that both before and after the OS upgrade,
my method of network access for the N800 was the same, that is, 802.11
wireless to a Proxim (formerly Lucent)  Orinoco AP-2000. Now this
AP-2000 is a dual radio (802.11a and 802.11g) system with both radios
active at the same time, albeit in their respective frequency bands (5.7
ghz and 2.4 ghz respectively).

Furthermore, I am fairly certain that at least one of the client devices
associated with the 802.11g radio on the AP-2000 is operating in 802.11b
(DSSS) mode (I can, but did not verify this), which, of course, means
that any other 802.11g clients associated with that radio will
"downshift" to 802.11b mode.

One thing that is different is that, prior to the upgrade, my N800 while
at my desk was less than ~1 meter from the AP-2000. Now, because I have
moved my desk to a different location,  it is ~5 meters from the AP-2000
and the signal has to penetrate a ceiling/floor to get to the AP.  I
will do some more testing today of the N800 while detached from its AC
power source to see how long it can go before the battery runs down.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC

* *